Ven pongal is one of the popular breakfast items in Tamil Nadu. Normally raw rice is used for preparing pongal but here I tried wheat rava / samba rava / cracked wheat. It was delicious than normal pongal. Try it out and you will really enjoy the new taste. I have already posted rava pongal, oats pongal and seeraga samba ven pongal.
- 1 cup - Samba rava / wheat rava / cracked wheat
- 1/2 cup - Split green gram / paasi paruppu / moong dal
- 2 nos - Garlic (chopped)
- 2 tsp - Ginger (chopped)
- 3 cups - Water
- 2 to 3 tbsp - Ghee
- Salt to taste
- 1 1/2 tbsp – Oil
- 1 tbsp – Cumin seeds
- 1 ¼ tsp – Peppercorns
- 10 nos – Fresh curry leaves
- 10 nos – Cashew nuts
- 2 pinches – Asafoetida
- Wash and soak moong dal for at least ½ hour, set it aside. Wash wheat rava in water 1 or 2 times.
- Pressure cook wheat rava and moong dal along with chopped garlic, ginger and salt in 3 cups of water for up to 2 or 3 whistle or until well cooked. Keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a pan, add jeera, peppercorns, cashew nuts, curry leaves and asafoetida. Once it splutters, add this seasoning to the cooked wheat rava and moong dal mixtures and mix well to blend.
- Finally add ghee on the top before serving and mix well. Serve hot with sambar, coconut chutney and yummy uluntha vadai.
- I used very fine wheat rava in this recipe, which cooks very fast.
- Quantity of water, depends on the size of wheat rava you are using.