Aloo bhujia / potato sev is a crispy and crunchy snack prepared with besan / gram flour, potato and other spices. Adding chaat masala gives a nice aroma and tangy taste to bhujia. Click here for other snack recipes.
Serves 4 to 5
Serves 4 to 5
- 1 cup – Besan / gram flour / kadalai maavu
- 1 medium – Potato or 2 small potatoes
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp – Red chilli powder ( or as needed)
- 3/4 tsp – Chaat masala (1/4 tsp while mixing flour and 1/2 tsp for garnishing)
- 1/4 tsp – Turmeric powder
- 1/8 tsp – Asafoetida powder
- 2 tbsp – Butter
- Salt to taste
- Oil for deep frying
- Boil potato and grind them to puree as shown in the picture, keep it aside.
- Take a mixing bowl, sieve gram flour and add red chilli powder, turmeric powder, chaat masala, potato puree, butter, asafoetida, required salt, mix everything well to form a soft and pliable dough.
- Take a sev or idiyappam press (mold with small holes), keep a portion of dough inside the presser and start pressing directly into hot oil in circular shape.
- Once it is cooked on one side flip over to other side and cook till bubbles stop. Repeat this process for the rest of the dough. Drain it in a paper towel and allow them to cool down.
- Crush bhujia gently and sprinkle chaat masala, mix well to combine. Aloo bhujia is ready and store it in an airtight container.
- Consistency of the dough is very important. I did not add any water while kneading. Also do not let the dough rest for more time as it will get dry and pressing will be very difficult. So cover the dough with wet cloth or plate.
- If you see the dough is difficult to press then sprinkle little water to bring the dough to a right consistency. If it is very soft then add little besan to bring it to right consistency.
- Aloo bhujia will cook quickly compared to any other deep fried item. So be cautious to take it out from oil quickly.
- You may increase or decrease the amount of red chilli powder as per your spice level.
Technorati Tags: How to make aloo bhujia,aloo bhujia,aloo bhujia recipe,bhujia recipes,Aloo recipes,Potato sev recipes,diwali recipes,Diwali snacks,Festival recipes,Besan recipes,kadalai maavu recipes,Gram flour recipes,Deep fried snacks,Indian snacks,Indian recipes,North Indian snacks,North Indian recipes,snacks,Savory recipes,Kids friendly recipes,Potato recipes,snacks with potato.