Tofu tawa masala is a creamy curry prepared with marinated tofu and spices which goes well with roti, naan, jeera rice or any pulao.
Serves : 4 people
For marinating tofu:
- 1 1/2 cup or 15 to 20 cubes - Tofu (extra firm)
- 1 tbsp - Curd / yogurt
- 1/8 tsp - Turmeric powder
- 1/8 tsp - Red chilli powder
- 3 pinches - Chaat masala
- 3 pinches - Kasuri methi / dried fenugreek leaves (crushed)
- Oil for shallow frying
- Salt to taste
- 1 no - Onion (chopped)
- 1 no - Tomato (puree)
- 1 tsp - Ginger garlic paste
- 1/4 tsp - Turmeric powder
- 1/2 to 1 tsp - Red chilli powder
- 1 tsp - Coriander powder
- 1/4 tsp - Garam masala powder
- 2 tbsp - Fresh cream or 1/4 cup - Milk
- 2 tbsp - Coriander leaves
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp - Oil
- 1/4 tsp - Cumin seeds
- 2 pinches - Ajwain seeds (omam)
- Marinate tofu cubes with curd, dried fenugreek leaves, chilli powder, turmeric powder, chaat masala and salt. Keep aside for ½ hour.
- Heat oil in a pan, shallow fry the tofu cubes till they are golden brown in colour. Drain excess oil with paper towel and keep aside.
Making of gravy:
- Heat oil in a pan, season with items given in the list for seasonings. Add onion and ginger garlic paste along with little salt, saute until they are golden brown in color.
- Add pureed tomato along with turmeric powder, red chilli powder, coriander powder, saute until raw smell goes.
- Add 1 1/2 cup water and bring it to boil, cook for 5 to 10 mins. Now add fried tofu and once again bring it to boil.
- Add milk and garam masala powder, cook for 10 mins or until you reach desired consistency. Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot with roti or jeera rice or any pulao.
- Pat dry tofu cubes in a paper towel before marinating it.
- I used milk but you can replace milk with fresh cream.
- Buy extra firm tofu for making this tawa masala.