Madurai special jigarthanda is a very popular cool drink in Madurai, that helps to beat the heat during hot summer. Almond gum / badam pisin and nannari syrup are very important ingredients in this recipe. I tried jigarthanda for the very first time and fell in love with it.
- 1 1/2 cup – Milk (boiled and cooled)
- 3 tbsp – Condensed milk
- 1 tsp or 4 to 5 small pieces– Almond pisin / badam pisin / Almond gum
- 3 scoop – Vanilla ice cream
- 3 tbsp – Nannari syrup
- Boil milk thoroughly and keep it in the refrigerator until use.
- Soak almond gum / badam pisin in 1 to 1 1/4 cups of water overnight. Next day, it will swell and form a transparent jelly like consistency. Remove any impurities if any.
- Take a serving glass, at first add 1 tsp almond jelly, followed by 1 tbsp of nannari syrup, 1 tbsp of condensed milk, 1/2 cup of chilled milk, 1 scoop of vanilla icecream and finally add little bit nannari syrup for finishing touch. Continue the same process with rest of the ingredients, serve immediately.
- Almond gum / badam pisin is a must ingredient for this recipe that you cannot replace it with anything. Just soak little bit of almond gum because it will increase in volume. Also you need to add more water as it grows in volume.
- The quantity of each ingredient can be purely your choice. You may increase or decrease the quantity of ingredients according to your liking.
- I have used store bought vanilla ice cream. But original recipe calls for homemade ice cream but it does not make much difference in taste.
- Instead of condensed milk you can make your own reduced milk/evaporated milk at home.
- I have garnished jagarthanda with few tutti frutti that is just for taking pictures.