Ulutham paruppu / urad dhal chutney is prepared with ulutham paruppu / whole black gram, onion, tomato, green chillies. It tastes good with idly, dosai and also with white rice.
- 2 tbsp – Whole black gram without skin / ulutham paruppu / urad dhal
- 8nos – Sambar onion / small onion
- 1no - Tomato
- 2 nos - Green chillies
- 3 tbsp - Coconut grated
- 1 small piece – Tamarind
- Salt as needed
- 1 tbsp – Sesame oil
- 1/4 tsp – Mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp - Split black gram / ulunthu
- 4 or 5 nos - Curry leaves
- 1 pinch – Asafoetida
- Dry roast ulutham paruppu till its slightly golden brown and keep aside. Let it cool.
- Heat 1 tsp of oil in the same pan, saute sambar onions for few seconds and followed by tomato and green chillies, saute for two minutes. Remove from stove and let it cool.
- Now grind fried ulutham paruppu, onion tomato mixture along with coconut, tamarind and salt into a coarse paste.
- Heat oil in a pan, season with items given for seasoning. Pour this seasonings over the chutney. The tasty ulutham paruppu chutney is ready and serve hot with hot idly or dosai.
- You can always replace whole black gram with split black gram.
- You can omit the coconut if you want this chutney to stay fresh for long time.