Wishing you all a very happy Diwali. Mullu murukku is a crispy snack made during special occasions like Diwali.
- 3 cups - Rice flour
- 1/2 cup - Split green gram / Paasi paruppu/ moong dhal
- 1/4 cup - Bengal Gram/ Kadala paruppu/ channa dhal
- 1 tsp – Cumin seeds
- 1 tsp - Sesame seeds
- 1 pinch - Asafoetida
- 1 1/2 tbsp – Butter (room temperature)
- Salt as needed
- Oil for deep frying
- Heat a pan, dry roast split green gram and bengal gram for a minute. Do not let it brown. Add it to a mixie and grind it to a very fine powder. Sieve it once so that there are no lumps found. Set aside.
- Taking a mixing bowl, add rice flour, yellow dhal and bengal gram powder, cumin seeds, sesame seeds, asafoetida, salt and mix well. Then add butter and required water to make this into a soft pliable dough.
- Heat oil in frying pan, fill the murukku press with this dough with 1 star murukku hole plate. Grease ladle with little oil and make spiral shape as shown in the picture and then drop them in oil.
- Deep fry them over medium flame to slightly golden brown. Use paper towel to remove excess oil. After murukku is cool down store in an airtight container.
- You need to wait till bubbles stop to make sure Murukku is well cooked.
- The dough has to be in a correct consistency,should not be sticky or too hard.
- Butter is must ingredient in this recipe since it helps the murukku to stay crispy for long.
- You can also use 3 star mullu murukku mold instead of 1 star mold.