Green gram/ Pachapayaru/ Mung beans is a small, oval-shaped bean that you can cook before or after soaking. Like other beans, mung bean is a rich source of low-fat protein, high fiber. Here comes simple, healthy and tasty recipe with whole green gram.
- 1/2 cup – Whole green gram / Pachapayaru
- 5 nos – Sambar onion (chinna vengayam) (Chopped finely)
- 1/2 no – Tomato (chopped)
- 2 nos – Garlic (chopped)
- 1 or 2 nos – Green chilly (slit open)
- 1/4 tsp – Cumin seeds
- 5 nos – Peppercorns
- 1/4 tsp – Turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- 2 tsp – Oil
- 1/4 tsp – Mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp – Split black gram
- 2 nos – Dry red chillies
- 4 or 5 nos – Curry leaves
- 1 pinch – Asafoetida
- Pressure cook whole green gram, tomato, garlic, green chillies, cumin seeds, peppercorns and turmeric powder in enough water for upto 6 whistles or until well cooked.
- Remove from stove and allow them to cool. Open the pressure cooker and mash up the dhal with a ladle. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a pan, season with items given for seasoning. Add chopped onion and saute until translucent. Then add mashed up green gram mix along with required salt and cook for 5 to 10 mins or until you reach the desired consistency.
- Switch off the stove now and serve hot with white rice or even with chappathi.
- No need to soak whole green gram for this recipe.