Flavored rice prepared with basmati rice, biryani masala and mixed vegetables, usually served with some curry and raita. I served it with potato korma and onion raita, which was absolutely perfect side dish for vegetable pulao. It is a simple one pot meal that you can prepare for lunch or dinner.
Serves 4 to 6
- 2 cup - Basmati rice
- 1 to 1 1/2 cup - Mixed vegetables ( I have used carrot, beans, peas, corn)
- 1 big or 2 small - Onion (sliced lengthwise)
- 5 to 6 no’s - Green chillies (add as needed)
- 1 1/2 tsp - Ginger garlic paste
- 1 handful - Coriander leaves chopped
- 1 handful - Mint leaves chopped
- 1/4 tsp - Lemon juice
- Salt to taste
- 4 tbsp - Oil and butter (each 2 tbsp)
- 1 small - Cinnamon stick / pattai
- 2 to 3 no’s - Clove
- 1 big - Bay leaf
- 1/4 tsp - Cumin seeds
- 1/4 tsp - Fennel seeds / sombu
- 1 no - Cardamom / elachi
- 1 no - Star anise
- 1/4 tsp - Ghee
- 9 to 10 no’s - Cashew nuts
- 10 no’s – Raisins
- Wash and soak rice for 30 mins and set aside. Roast cashew nuts and raisin in little ghee and set it aside.
- Heat oil and butter in a pressure pan / cooker, season with items given in the list for seasoning. Add onion and green chillies along with little salt, saute until they are slightly brown in color.
- Add ginger garlic paste, saute for few seconds. Followed by mixed vegetables, saute for a minute. Pour in 4 cups of water and required salt, bring it to boil. Now add soaked rice and allow them to cook until rice is 3/4 done.
- Add chopped coriander and mint leaves along with lemon juice, mix well. Cover with lid and cook them for about 1 whistle or until well cooked. Allow them to cool completely.
- Finally garnish with roasted cashew nuts and raisin, mix well. Serve it with any curry of your choice and raita.
- Do not over cook or under basmati rice. If you are following the same steps as mine, then add 1 : 2 ratio of water ( for 1 cup of rice add 2 cups of water) to make it fluffy. Otherwise add water ratio 1:1 1/2 and make it fluffy.
- Increase or decrease number of green chillies as per your spice level.
- You may use any vegetables of your choice. I have used carrot, beans, green peas and corn kernels.