Vazhakkai varuval is a spicy stir fry prepared with raw banana and other spices, which goes well with hot rice, sambar and appalam.
- 3 nos - Raw banana / vazhakkai (as shown in picture)
- 11/2 tsp - Ginger garlic paste
- 1/4 tsp - Turmeric powder
- 1 tsp - Red chilli powder (or add as needed)
- 1 1/2 tsp - Coriander powder
- 1 tbsp - Oil (i used olive oil)
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsp - Oil
- 1/4 tsp - Mustard seeds
- 10 nos - Fresh curry leaves
- 3 pinches - Asafoetida
- Wash vazhakkai, remove the skin and chop them into thin circles as shown in the picture, set it aside.
- Take a mixing bowl, add ginger garlic paste, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, coriander powder, oil and required salt, Mix well like a paste.
- Now marinate raw banana/ vazhakkai in the masala paste for 10 to 15 minutes. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a wide pan, Season with items given in the list for seasoning. Add marinated vazhakkai, cover with lid and roast until they are golden brown on both sides. Vazhakkai varuval is ready and serve with hot rice.
- Chop raw banana / vazhakkai in to thin circles not too thin or too thick.
- You can increase or decrease the quantity of red chilli powder according to your spice level.