Ghee rice is a mild pulao prepared with basmati rice, garam masala and homemade ghee. This pulao goes well with any spicy paneer curry or any other spicy curry / gravy. You can prepare this rice in no time and will not disappoint you in the taste.
Serves 2 to 3
- 1 cup – Basmati rice
- 1 medium – Onion (sliced lengthwise)
- 2 to 3 nos – Green chillies ( chopped)
- 6 to 7 nos – Cashew nuts
- 1 1/2 tbsp - Ghee
- 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 cup – Water
- Salt to taste
- 1 1/2 tbsp – Ghee
- 1 no – Cinnamon stick
- 2 nos – Clove
- 1 no – Bay leaf
- 1 no – Cardamom
- 1/4 tsp – Fennel seeds
- Wash and soak basmati rice in enough water for 15 to 20 minutes. Drain water completely and keep it aside.
- Heat ghee in a pressure cooker, season with items given in the list for seasoning. Add chopped onion and green chillies, saute until they are slightly golden brown.
- Now add water along with required salt, bring it to rolling boil. Add soaked rice and allow them to cook for 3 to 4 minutes or until 3/4 of water is absorbed.
- Close the pressure cooker with lid and reduce the flame to low. Cook them for about 1 whistle or for 5 minutes or until well cooked. Allow them to cool completely.
- Meanwhile heat ghee in a pan, add broken cashew nuts and fry them till they are golden brown in color.
- Finally garnish ghee rice with fried cashew nuts and mix well. Serve it with spicy paneer gravy or any other spicy gravy.
- I used 1 3/4 cup of water for 1 cup of rice because i open cooked rice for a while (until they are 3/4 cooked) and finally pressure cooked it. 1 : 1 3/4 water ratio was perfect for this method. But you can add 1 : 1 1/2 cup ratio and completely pressure cook it for 2 or 3 whistles.
- Do not over cook or under basmati rice. Add perfect water ratio 1:1 1/2 and make it fluffy.
- I used homemade ghee in this recipe and it gives awesome flavour to the rice.