Murukku is always special at my home and think about making it healthy as well. I have already tried preparing murukkus like arisi murukku, butter murukku, mullu murukku, ring murukku and now comes ragi murukku for this Diwali. Ragi murukku prepared with homemade ragi flour, rice flour, roasted bengal gram and other spices. It came out crispy and tasted as good as any other murukku.
Yields: around 20 to 25 murukku (depends on the size of murukku)
- 2 cups – Ragi flour / keppai maavu
- 1 cup – Rice flour
- 1/2 cup – Roasted bengal gram flour / pottukadalai maavu
- 2 tbsp – Butter
- 1 tsp – White sesame seeds
- 1 tsp – Cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp – Red chilli powder (or add as needed)
- 2 to 3 pinches – Asafoetida
- Salt to taste
- Oil to deep fry
- First dry roast pottukadalai or roasted bengal gram slightly and allow them to cool completely, grind them to a fine powder.
- Take a mixing bowl, add ragi flour, rice flour, roasted bengal gram flour, butter, white sesame seeds, cumin seeds, red chilli powder, asafoetida and required salt, mix well nicely and add enough water, knead into a soft and pliable dough. Set aside.
- Heat oil in frying pan, fill the murukku press with this dough with 1 star murukku hole plate. Grease ladle with little oil and make shape as shown in the picture and then drop them in oil.
- Deep fry them over medium flame for 1 or 2 minutes and then turn it gently. Fry them till they become crispy and well cooked. Since the colour of the ragi murukku is dark, you cannot check it by seeing the colour whether it is fried or not. So fry them until hiss sound stops completely. Use paper towel to remove excess oil. After murukku is cool down store in an airtight container.
- You need to wait till bubbles stop to make sure Murukku is well cooked.
- The dough has to be in a correct consistency,should not be sticky or too hard.
- Butter is must ingredient in this recipe since it helps the murukku to stay crispy for long.
- You can also use 3 star murukku moulding instead of 1 star mould.
- You can increase or decrease the quantity of red chilli powder as per your spice level.