Vazhakkai podimas is a simple and healthy stir fried curry prepared with raw banana / vazhakkai / plantain which goes very well with hot rice and sambar or even with any variety rice.
Serve 3 to 4
- 3 nos – Raw banana / vazhakkai
- 1 no – Onion (chopped finely)
- 1/4 tsp – Turmeric powder
- 2 tbsp – Grated coconut (optional)
- 1 tbsp – Coriander leaves for garnishing
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp – Oil
- 1/4 tsp – Mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp – Split black gram / ulunthu
- 1/4 tsp – Bengal gram / chana dal / kadalai paruppu
- 1/4 tsp – Cumin seeds / jeera
- 3 nos – Dry red chillies
- 5 to 6 nos – Curry leaves
- 3 pinches – Asafoetida
How to cook raw banana:
- Wash raw banana and cut into halves as shown in the picture. Heat water in a wide vessel, add raw banana, little turmeric powder and salt, bring it to boil and cook until raw banana is soft but not mushy.
- Drain the water completely and allow them to cool completely. Remove the skin and grate it (use grater with big holes).
Making of podimas:
- Heat oil in a pan, season with items given in the list for seasonings. Add onion and required salt, saute until translucent. Followed by turmeric powder and saute for few seconds.
- Remove the flame to low, add grated raw banana and cook for 2 to3 minutes or until well cooked. Check for salt and switch off the stove. Garnishing with grated coconut and serve with hot rice and spicy curry.
- You may replace dry red chillies with green chillies.
- Grated coconut is completely optional.
- Do not over cook whole raw banana otherwise you may not be able to grate it.
- Use grater with big holes to grate raw banana.