Biryani is a popular rice dish all over India, it can be prepared either vegetarian or non vegetarian. I have already posted vegetable dum biryani with different ingredients and preparation method. Now i am posting simple vegetable biryani with simple ingredients.
Serves 2 to 3 people
- 1 cup – Basmati rice (heaped)
- 1 no – Onion (medium, cut lengthwise)
- 1 no – Tomato (chopped finely)
- 1 tsp – Ginger garlic paste
- 2 nos – Green chilies (slit open)
- 1 cup – Mixed vegetables (Carrot, beans, green peas)
- 1/4 tsp – Turmeric powder
- 1/2 to 1 tsp – Red chili powder (as needed)
- 1 tsp – Coriander powder
- 1/4 tsp – Garam masala powder
- 1 1/2 tbsp – Curd
- 1 1/2 tbsp – Chopped coriander leaves
- Salt as needed
- 1 tbsp – Butter
- 1 tsp – Oil
- 1 no – Cinnamon
- 1 no – Bay leaf
- 2 nos – Clove
- 1 no – Cardamom
- 1 no – Star anise
- 1/4 tsp – Fennel seeds
- Wash and soak basmati rice for 30 minutes. Drain water completely and keep it aside.
- Heat butter and oil in a hard bottomed vessel, season with items given in the list for seasoning. Add onion, ginger garlic paste and green chili saute until they are golden brown in color.
- Add tomato, cover with lid and cook until they are slightly mushy.Then add mixed vegetables, once again cover and cook for few more minutes.
- Add turmeric powder, red chili powder, coriander powder and garam masala powder along with required salt, saute until raw smell goes. Add curd and mix well, cover with lid and cook until vegetables are half cooked.
- Add water (1 :2 ratio) and bring it to boil. Now add washed rice and mix well. Cover with lid and reduce the flame to medium, cook until rice is tender or well cooked. Finally sprinkle chopped coriander leaves and serve hot with raita.
- You can also pressure cook for up to 2 or 3 whistles or until well cooked. Only concern is the texture of rice, most of us want rice to be firm not massy. That’s why I follow the above step 5 in my process.
- If you prefer pressure cooking method, then use 1 : 1 1/2 ratio (rice : water).
- You can use any rice like seeraga samba rice, raw rice to cook this biryani.
- Use any vegetables of your choice.