Paruppu rasam is a simple and flavorful rasam made with red gram / Toor dhal as main ingredient. This is one among the popular recipes from Tamil Nadu.
- 1/4 cup – Red gram / Toor dhal / Thuvaram paruppu
- 1 no – Tomato (chopped finely)
- 1 no – Tamarind (gooseberry size)
- 4 nos – Garlic (crushed)
- 1 no – Green chillies (crushed)
- 2 pinches – Turmeric powder
- 2 pinches – Sugar
- Coriander leaves for garnishing
- Salt as needed
- 1 tsp – Cumin seeds
- 1/4 tsp – Peppercorns
- 1/2 tsp – Coriander seeds
- 1 tsp – Oil
- 1/4 tsp – Mustard seeds
- 2 pinches – Fenugreek seeds
- 1 or 2 nos – Dry red chillies
- 4 or 5 nos – Curry leaves
- 1 pinch – Asafoetida
- Dry grind items given for grinding to a coarse powder. Soak tamarind and squeeze out the pulp. Pressure cook red gram until massy. Set everything aside.
- Heat oil in a pan, season with items given for seasonings. Add tomato, crushed garlic and green chilli, saute for few minutes.
- Then add tamarind juice along with turmeric powder, ground powder and required salt, cook for few mins.
- Now add cooked dhal, required water and sugar, mix well and bring it to boil. when it just starts to boiling and becomes frothy,transfer to the serving bowl and sprinkle coriander leaves, close it immediately.
- Paruppu rasam is ready serve hot with white rice and appalam.
- You can also add 1/4 tsp red chilli powder in this recipe.