Badam milk powder is a rich and flavorful powder prepared with almonds, palm jaggery, saffron, and cardamom. All the ingredients used to make this powder not only adds flavor to the drink but also good for your health. Badam milk powder can be consumed with hot as well as cold milk. I do not want to use store bought badam milk powder which is loaded with sugar, artificial flavors, and colors. So, I tried this homemade badam drink, which was a big hit in our family.
Yields 3/4 to 1 cup of badam milk powder
- 1/2 cup – Almond / badam
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup – Palm jaggery / Panangkalkandu
- 1/4 tsp – Turmeric powder
- 2 to 3 no’s – Cardamom
- 2 to 3 pinches – Saffron
Blanching almonds and peeling the skin:
- Bring water to a rolling boil, add the almonds and leave them for 1 to 2 minutes, switch off the stove. Drain water completely and wash the blanched almonds with cold running water. Peel off the skin and pat them dry with a paper towel or clean cotton cloth.
- Heat a pan, dry roast almonds until they are slightly golden brown on all sides. Allow them to cool completely.
Making of badam milk powder:
- Take a blender, add cardamom, saffron, palm jaggery, and turmeric powder, blend them to a fine powder.
- Then add roasted almonds, pulse the blender for 10 seconds at a time and stop. Repeat till the almonds are powdered. Do not over grind it, else it will turn into a paste.
- Spread it on a plate and allow them to cool completely before storing. Store it in an air tight container and use for upto a month.
Making of badam milk:
- Take a cup, add a tbsp of badam milk powder and pour boiled milk over it, mix well thoroughly and serve immediately.
- Check for sweetness at this time, if required add a little sugar or palm jaggery as per your taste.
- If you live in a humid weather place, better store it in a refrigerator and use.
- You may also use this powder to flavor your Kulfi or Kheer/ payasam.
- While grinding the almonds, blender should not get warm, so pulse the mixer for few seconds and then stop. Repeat this same process until you get fine powder. Else the almonds will release oil.
- I have used palm jaggery in this recipe instead of sugar, so that people who are health conscious can also drink this. Others can add sugar as per their taste.