Moong dal vadai / vada / bhajiya / pakodi is a deep fried snack prepared with moong dal / paasi paruppu / split green gram and spices.
Yields: 15 to 20 vadai
Serves : 4 people
- 1 cup - Paasi paruppu / Moong dal / Split green gram
- 1 no - Onion (chopped)
- 1 or 2 nos - Green chillies (chopped)
- 1 tsp - Ginger chopped
- 1/2 tsp - Cumin seeds
- 1/4 tsp - White sesame seeds
- 1 pinch - Baking soda
- 3 pinches - Asafoetida
- 1 tbsp - Coriander leaves
- Salt to taste
- Oil for deep frying
- Wash and soak moong dal in enough water for 4 to 5 hours or until well soaked, set it aside.
- Grind soaked dal coarsely using very little water. Set it aside.
- Take a mixing bowl, add ground dal, chopped onion, green chillies, ginger, cumin seeds, white sesame seeds, baking soda, asafoetida, coriander leaves and required salt, mix well.
- Heat oil in a pan for deep frying, take a tablespoon of batter and place it in a hot oil over medium flame, fry until they are golden brown in color on both sides. Drain excess oil in a paper towel and serve hot with any spicy chutney.
- Do not over crowd while deep frying vadai.
- Moong dal vadai should be crispy from outside and should be soft inside.
- If batter is too thick then vadai will be hard. So adjust water level accordingly.
- It will be crispy when it is eaten hot .