Healthy starter prepared with blanched and minced broccoli, mashed potato and other spices, that is shallow fried and served with tomato ketchup.
Yields 12 to 15 balls (depends on the size of balls)
- 12 to 15 florets – Broccoli
- 2 medium – Potato
- 1/2 cup – Onion (chopped)
- 1 tsp – Ginger and garlic chopped
- 1 tbsp – Coriander leaves chopped
- 1 tbsp – Corn flour
- 1/4 tsp – Turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp – Red chilli powder
- 1/4 tsp – Garam masala powder
- 1/4 tsp – Roasted cumin powder
- 1 tsp – Oil for sautéing
- Oil for shallow frying
- Salt to taste
For outer layer:
- 3 tbsp – Maida / All purpose flour
- 1/4 cup – Breadcrumbs
- 1 pinch – Salt
- Water as needed for coating
- Bring a large pot of water to a rapid boil. Add the broccoli florets and cook until tender, 1 to 1 1/2 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and put immediately in the ice water. Drain the water completely and mince it as shown in the picture. Keep it aside.
- Wash and pressure cook potato for 2 whistles or until well cooked. Mash and set it aside.
- Heat oil in a pan, add ginger and garlic chopped, saute until they are golden brown in color. Followed by chopped onion and little salt, saute until translucent.
- Add red chilli powder, turmeric powder, garam masala powder and cumin powder, saute until raw smell of masala goes. Switch off the stove and allow them to cool completely.
- Take a mixing bowl, add sauteed onion mixture, mashed potato, broccoli minced, chopped coriander leaves, corn flour and required salt, mix well. Check for salt and if needed add more.
- Make lemon sized balls out of the mixture. Dip first in the maida mixture (mix maida in water with a pinch of salt.consistency should be watery) and then the bread crumbs;coat well on both the sides. Add little oil and shallow fry them in paniyaram making pan until nicely browned. Serve hot with tomato ketchup or any chutney.
- I have used paniyaram making pan in this recipe. If you do not have one, then simply deep fry them in oil.
- Keep flame in medium and very gentle while shallow frying this balls.
- You may increase or decrease the quantity of red chilli powder as per your spice level.