Soya chunk is popularly used as a substitute for meat. Amazingly soya chunks have protein content equal to that of the meat and contain no fat. Soya chunks are a healthy food for adults as well as kids. Soya chunks are very good for people who are suffering from diabetes, heart problems, high blood pressure etc. Soya chunks easily absorb any flavours that you are cooking with. Manchurian prepared with soya chunks are perfect side dish for any fried rice of your choice.
Serves 3 to 4
- 1 cup – Soya chunk / meal maker / soya nuggets
- 2 tbsp – Maida
- 2 tbsp – Corn flour
- Salt to taste
For manchurian sauce :
- 1 tbsp – Oil
- 1/2 no – Onion (chopped finely)
- 1/2 cup – Capsicum (chopped finely)
- 1/2 tsp – Garlic chopped
- 1/2 tsp – Ginger chopped
- 1 no – Green chilli chopped (optional)
- 1 tsp – Corn flour
- 1 tbsp – Soy sauce ( I used light )
- 1 tbsp – Tomato sauce (tomato ketchup)
- 1 to 1 1/2 tsp – Chilli garlic sauce ( sriracha sauce)
- 1/4 cup – Spring onion chopped
- Salt as needed
Making of soya chunk fry:
- Take a wide vessel, fill it with enough water and bring it to boil. Add soya chunks to boiling water and cook it until soya chunk doubles in its size (around 5 minutes).
- Drain water completely and show the cooked soya chunks in cold running water for 2 to 3 minutes. Squeeze out the water completely.and set it aside.
- Add maida, corn flour and salt to the cooked soya chunk, mix well thoroughly.
- Deep fry over medium flame until they turn slightly golden brown. Transfer deep fried soya chunk to a plate or bowl with paper towel to remove excess oil. Continue the same procedure with rest of the soya chunks.
Making of Soya chunk manchurian:
- Mix corn flour in a 2 to 3 tbsp of water and set it aside.
- Heat oil in a pan, add ginger, garlic, green chillies chopped, saute for few seconds. Followed by chopped onion and half of spring onion, once again saute for few seconds.
- Now add soy sauce, tomato ketchup and chilli garlic sauce or chilli sauce, little salt (soy sauce already has salt in it), saute for few seconds. Add 1/4 cup of water and bring it to boil.
- Add corn flour mixture and once again cook until you see sauce is slightly thick and glaze. Now add fried soya chunks and chopped capsicum, mix well everything and continued to cook over high flame for few minutes until soya chunk absorbs all the moisture. Finally garnish with remaining spring onion and serve hot with any fried rice of your choice.
- Washing cooked soya chunks in cold running water for 2 or 3 times helps to reduce raw smell from soya chunk.
- Serve it immediately to get crispy taste of the manchurian.
- I used sriracha sauce (chilli garlic sauce) in this recipe instead of green chilli sauce.
- Do not over crowd while deep frying Soya chunk.