Crispy masal vadai or paruppu vadai is a famous south Indian snack prepared during special occasions. Masal vadai /paruppu vadai is made with bengal gram and spices. It is an excellent evening snack.
- 1 cup – Bengal gram (kadalai paruppu/chana dhal)
- 1 no – Onion (chopped finely)
- 2 or 3 nos – Green chili (as per taste)
- 1 tsp – Ginger (crushed)
- 1 tsp – Garlic (crushed)
- 1/2 tsp – Fennel seeds
- 1 tsp – Cumin seeds
- 2 pinches – Asafoetida
- 4 or 5 nos – Curry leaves (chopped finely)
- Salt as per taste
- Oil for deep frying
- Wash and soak bengal gram for at least 2 hours. Drain water completely and coarsely grind it along with cumin seeds, fennel seeds and required salt.
- Take a wide bowl, add ground items,onion, green chilies,ginger garlic, asafoetida, curry leaves and mix everything well to form a thick dough.
- Heat oil in a pan, make small balls out of the dough and press it in the center. Deep fry in the oil until golden brown.
- Serve hot with any chutney.