Potato bonda is one of the best evening snack. It is very simple yet delicious item that can be prepared with very few ingredients.
For potato stuffing:
- 4 nos – Potato (medium sized)
- 1 no – Onion (finely chopped)
- 2 nos - Green chillies (finely chopped)
- 1 tsp – Ginger (chopped finely)
- 2 pinches – Cumin seeds (crushed)
- 1/4 tsp - Turmeric powder
- 1/4tsp - Mustard seeds
- 4 or 5 nos - Curry leaves (chopped)
- 1 tbsp – Coriander leaves
- Salt to taste
For the batter:
- 1 cup - Gram flour/ Besan/ kadalai mavvu
- 1 tbsp – Rice flour
- 1 tsp – Red chilly powder
- 1 pinch – Asafoetida
- 1 pinch – Baking soda
- Water-1/2cup (as needed)
- Salt to taste
- Boil potatoes with water until soft. Cool it, peel off the skin and mash it up. Keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a pan, season with mustard seeds and curry leaves. Add onion, green chillies, ginger along with little salt saute till golden brown.
- Then add turmeric powder, mashed potatoes and crushed cumin seeds, saute them well and remove from stove. Finally garnish with coriander leaves. Allow the mixture to cool. Make a lemon sized balls and set aside.
- Take a mixing bowl, add gram flour, rice flour, chilly powder, asafoetida, baking soda, salt and water to make a thick batter.
- After 15 mins, dip the balls one by one into the batter and deep fry them till golden brown on all sides. Drain the excess oil and serve hot with coconut chutney or sauce.
- Recently I got my first blogger award (Sunshine Blogger Award) from Ms.R.Punitha authoring http://southindiafoodrecipes.blogspot.com. She got nice authentic recipes and also a very loveable person who always encourage fellow bloggers. Thanks Ms. Punitha for this wonderful award.
- I received my second award (Liebster Award) from PT authoring http://jopreet.blogspot.com. I guess she is one of my regular readers who always leave her comment on every recipe. She is a very talented young blogger who got her delightful recipes. Thanks PT for considering me while selecting fellow bloggers to share this award.