It is very common that we prepare medhu vadai with black gram without skin but this one is prepared using black gram dal with skin which is more crispy and very tasty. This tastes awesome when you munch it with coconut chutney.
- 1 cup – Split black gram with skin / Ulunthu / black urad dhal
- 1 no – Onion (big, chopped finely)
- 2 nos – Green chillies (chopped finely)
- 1 tsp – Ginger (finely chopped)
- 1 tsp – Cumin seeds
- 2 tbsp – Coriander leaves (chopped finely)
- 1 tbsp – Curry leaves (chopped finely)
- Salt as needed
- Oil for deep frying
- Soak split black gram / ulunthu with skin for an hour. Now grind it to fine paste sprinkling water now and then. Do not add much water as the batter will become watery. For perfect crispy vadai the batter should be in right consistency.
- Once the batter is ready, add chopped onions, ginger, green chili, cumin seeds, coriander leaves, curry leaves and required salt to the batter, mix well and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a kadai. Take water in a bowl, wet your right hand take a normal ball out of the batter and make a hole in the middle with your thumb and carefully drop it to the kadai immediately (It comes only by practice). Continue the same process for each and every vadai; you will get the right shape for vadai.
- Fry vadai in medium flame, turn over to other side once it becomes firm. Take out and drain it in a tissue once it becomes golden brown on both sides. Serve along with sambar and coconut chutney.
- While grinding, add water little by little, If the batter becomes runny the vadai will consume more oil. For perfect crispy and soft vadai the batter should be in right consistency.
- In case your batter becomes watery add 1 or 2 tsp of rice flour and not more than that.
- To get perfect shape vadai you can grease your left palm, wet your right hand and take a lemon size ball, place it in your left palm. Platen the dough put a hole in the center and drop carefully in the frying pan.
- Making perfect shape is little difficult for a beginner but by practice you will get it right.