Suzhiyam / suyam is one of popular snack (palaharam) which can be prepared either as sweet or savory. I have already posted sweet version of suyam which is my favourite one. But you will get surprised when you try this savory version, it tasted very good and few of my friends loved it very much.
Yields: around 15 suyam / seeyam
For outer layer:
- 1/2 cup – Idly rice or boiled rice
- 1/2 cup – Raw rice
- 1/4 cup – Whole black gram without skin / ulunthu
- Salt to taste
- Oil for deep frying
For potato masala:
- 3 medium – Potato
- 1 no – Onion
- 1/4 tsp – Ginger chopped
- 1/4 tsp – Turmeric powder
- 1/4 tsp – Red chilli powder / sambar powder
- 1/2 tsp – Cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp – Coriander leaves chopped
- 1 pinch – Asafoetida
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp – Oil for tempering
Making of potato masala:
- Wash and cook potatoes in enough water until well cooked. Allow them to cool completely and remove skin, mash it and keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a pan, season with cumin seeds and asafoetida, add chopped onion and ginger, saute until they are slightly golden brown in color.
- Now add turmeric powder, red chilli powder and required salt, saute until raw smell goes. Add mashed potato and mix well to incorporate.
- Finally sprinkle chopped coriander leaves and switch off the stove. Allow them to cool completely, make small balls out of the potato masala and set it aside. Potato masala is ready.
Making of outer layer and suyam:
- Wash and soak raw rice, idly rice and whole black gram each separately for 6 hours or overnight.
- Transfer soaked black gram dal to a mixer grinder and grind them to a fine paste. Same way grind idly rice and raw rice to a smooth paste like we do for making idly. Transfer ground flour to a mixing bowl and add required salt, mix well.
- Batter consistency should be like idly batter which is slightly thick. Allow them to ferment overnight or until well fermented.
- Now dip potato masala in the fermented batter and fry them in hot oil over medium flame until they are slightly brown in color. Tasty potato masala suyam is ready.
- Batter consistency should be like of idly batter. If you think batter is very thick then you can add little water to make it perfect for dipping.
- You can make this suyam with idly batter also.
- You can make this potato masala ahead of time and make suyam when needed.