Spinach besan toast is a healthy evening snack for school going kids. Prepared with bread, spinach and gram flour/ besan, that tastes delicious. You may serve it with hot tea and tomato ketchup.
Serves 2 to 3
- 4 to 6 nos – Bread ( I used whole wheat bread)
- 1/2 cup – Gram flour / Besan / Kadalai maavu
- 1/2 cup – Spinach / pasalai keerai (chopped finely)
- 1/4 cup – Onion (chopped finely)
- 1/4 tsp – Ginger chopped
- 1/8 tsp – Turmeric powder
- 1/4 tsp – Red chilli powder (or add as needed)
- 1/4 tsp – Cumin powder / roasted jeera powder
- 1/8 tsp – Asafoetida
- Salt to taste
- Oil for toasting
- Take a mixing bowl, add besan, turmeric powder,red chilli powder, cumin powder, asafoetida and salt to taste, mix well thoroughly. Now add water and whisk to a slighlty thin batter consistency without any lumps. Batter consistency should not be too thick or too thin. Make a batter of medium consistency.
- Followed by chopped spinach, onion and ginger, mix well thoroughly. Now take the bread slices and then dip them in the batter on both sides. Don’t keep the bread slices for too long in the batter.
- Heat oil in the tawa, place dipped bread and drizzle oil around the bread slices. Toast bread slices over medium flame on both sides until they are slightly golden brown in color. Serve it with hot tea and tomato ketchup.
- Batter consistency should not be too thick or too thin.
- Also don’t keep the bread slices for too long in the batter.
- You may use wheat bread or white bread for this toast.