The fish fry is a great starter to a meal. Tilapia fish fry - marinated in onion based masala and deep fried in oil. Onion rings and lemon juice simply compliment the fish fry.
- 4 to 5 nos – Tilapia fish fillet (with bone)
- 1 small – Onion (or 1/2 cup chopped onion)
- 2 clove – Garlic
- 1/4 inch – Ginger
- 2 to 3 nos – Dry red chillies (or add as needed)
- 1/4 tsp – Fennel seeds / Sombu
- 1/4 tsp – Cumin seeds / Jeera
- 1/2 tsp – Roasted coriander seeds
- 1/4 tsp – Turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp - Lemon juice for marination and garnishing
- Few onion slices for garnishing
- Salt to taste
- Oil for frying
- Wash fish fillets with turmeric and lemon juice in a running water for 3 to 4 times, set aside.
- Take a blender / mixie, add chopped onion, garlic and ginger, fennel seeds, cumin seeds, coriander seeds, dry red chillies, grind it to coarse paste. Then add turmeric powder and salt, continue grinding to a fine paste.
- Now apply this paste to the fish fillets and let it rest for 30 minutes to 1 hour . Heat oil in a pan, fry the fish over medium flame on both sides till golden brown. Garnish it with onion rings and lemon juice.
- Always cook fish fillets in medium or low flame, that helps to cook fish thoroughly both outside and inside.
- You may increase or decrease dry red chillies as per your spice level.
- I used tilapia fish but you can use any variety of fish.
- You may deep fry or shallow fry fish fillets.