Vara milagai chicken / Kancha milagai chicken is an Indo-Chinese style chicken fry that is slightly spicy but very yummy. I learned this recipe from my cousin and it was on my wishlist for a very long time. Finally, I tried this recipe recently and It turned out very good.
Serves 3 to 4
- 1/2 kg – Chicken with bones (cut into slightly big pieces)
- 1 no – Onion (chopped finely)
- 4 to 5 no’s – Dry red chillies
- 1 tsp – Ginger garlic paste
- 1/4 tsp – Turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp – Red chilli powder (or add as needed)
- 1/2 tsp – Garam masala powder
- 1 tsp – Soya sauce
- 1 tsp – Tomato sauce (ketchup)
- 1 tsp – Green chilli sauce
- 1/2 tsp – Vinegar
- 1 tbsp – Oil
- Salt to taste
- Wash chicken thoroughly for 3 to 4 times and keep it aside.
- Marinate chicken with a tsp of curd / yogurt, turmeric powder and little salt, set it aside for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Heat oil in a pan, add dry red chillies, chopped onion and ginger garlic paste, saute until they are translucent. Followed by marinated chicken and saute for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add turmeric powder, red chilli powder, garam masala powder and required salt, saute until raw smell goes.
- Followed by soya sauce, chilli sauce, tomato sauce, vinegar and mix well. Now add 1/4 cup of water and mix well, cover with lid and allow them to cook for 3 to 4 minutes or until well cooked(as shown in the picture). Switch off the stove and serve hot.
- Always wash chicken in lemon juice once or twice in order to avoid the stinky smell from chicken (kavuchi smell).
- Marinating chicken is very important to get soft and juicy chicken.
- You may increase or decrease number of dry red chillies as per your spice level.