Khaman dhokla is a popular Gujarati snack usually served with spicy green chutney. You can prepare this instant dhokla in less than 10 minutes using the microwave. You can surprise your guests with soft, spongy and tasty dhokla in no time. Sounds interesting right, give it a try and you will just love it.
Serves 3 to 4
Serves 3 to 4
- 1/2 cup – Besan / Kadalai maavu / gram flour
- 1/2 tbsp – Semolina / Rava / sooji
- 1/2 tsp – Crushed ginger and green chillies
- 3 tbsp – Curd / yogurt
- 1/2 tsp – Lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp – ENO fruit salt ( I have used “Original”)
- 1/2 cup – Water
- 1/2 tsp – Butter or oil for greasing
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp – Oil
- 1/4 tsp – Mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp – Sesame seeds (white)
- 1 to 2 no’s – Green chillies (chopped finely)
- 1 tbsp – Coriander leaves (chopped)
- 1/4 tsp – Lemon juice
- 3 to 4 tbsp – Water
- 1/8 tsp – Sugar
- 1 tbsp – Coconut grated (for garnishing)
- Grease microwave safe pan / baking pan with ghee or oil and keep it ready.
- Take a mixing bowl, add besan, rava, curd, ginger and green chillies crushed, lemon juice and required salt, mix well.
- Add water and mix well thoroughly without forming any lumps. Finally add ENO fruit salt and stir in one direction for approximately 1 minute. The fruit salt will start to react and batter will fluff up.
- Pour the batter immediately to the greased baking pan, tap the edges to level and place inside the microwave and cook for 5 to 7 minutes or until well cooked.
- Using fork or toothpick you can check whether it is done or not. Allow them to cool down for 5 minutes. Cut into squares and set aside till we prepare tempering.
- Heat oil in a pan, season it with mustard seeds and sesame seeds, let it crackle. Now add chopped green chillies and saute for few seconds. Add 4 tbsp’s of water along with sugar and lemon juice, bring it to boil.
- Finally add coriander leaves, switch off the stove and pour this tempering over the sliced dhoklas. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and grated coconut.
- You may increase or decrease number of green chillies as per your spice level.
- To steam dhokla you may use a dhokla steamer if you have one, else use any flat vessel in idli cooker or even pressure cooker can be used.
- Adding water and sugar to the tempering makes dhokla very soft and juicy.
- You may replace Eno fruit salt with 1/4 tsp of baking soda.