Ladies finger/ Okra stuffed with peanuts, besan flour and other spices. It is usually served as a side dish to chappathi along with curd / yogurt.
Serves 3 to 4
- 20 to 25 no’s – Okra / Ladies finger / Bhindi / Vendakkai (small sized)
- 3 tbsp – Peanuts
- 3 tbsp – Besan / Gram flour / Kadalai maavu / chickpea flour
- 1/2 no – Onion (chopped finely)
- 1/4 tsp – Garlic chopped
- 1/4 tsp – Ginger chopped
- 1/8 tsp – Turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp – Red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp – Coriander powder
- 1/8 tsp – Garam masala powder
- 1/8 tsp – Cumin powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp - Oil for sautéing
- Oil for deep frying
Making of stuffing:
- Dry roast peanuts over medium flame, cool down and chop them into fine pieces or crush them roughly using mortar and pestle. Set it aside.
- Same way dry roast besan / kadalai maavu over low flame, stir constantly until the flour starts turning brown and releasing an aroma, typically after 4 to 5 minutes. Set it aside.
- Heat oil in a pan, add chopped onion, ginger and garlic, saute for few seconds. Add turmeric powder, red chilli powder, coriander powder, cumin powder and garam masala powder, saute until raw smell goes.
- Finally add crushed peanuts and roasted besan along with required salt, mix well thoroughly and switch off the stove. Now stuffing for okra fry is ready.
Making of okra fry:
- Wash okra thoroughly in a running water and wipe it nicely with clean cloth or paper towel. Trim and slit open the okra in the middle. Fill each okra with a spoon full of prepared stuffing. If you have leftover stuffing, set it aside for later use.
- Heat oil in the frying pan, deep fry stuffed okra over low flame (to avoid burning the stuffing) and continue frying both sides until okra’s are well cooked.
- Remove from oil and drain the excess oil using paper towel. Stuffed okra fry is ready, serve with roti along with some raita of your choice.
- Select small okra pods if possible, as they are more tender and flavorful.
- If you wish you may add little amchur powder / dried mango powder for tanginess.
Technorati Tags: Stuffed okra fry,how to make stuffed okra fry,stuffed bhindi fry,how to make stuffed bhindi,stuffed vendakkai fry,vendakkai fry,deeped okra,vegetarian,Indian recipes,bhindi recipes,okra recipes,vendakkai recipes,appetizer,starter,sidedish for roti and paratha,sidedish for chappathi,North Indian recipes.