Flattened rice can be eaten raw by immersing it in plain water or milk, with salt and sugar to taste, or lightly fried in oil with nuts, raisins, cardamoms, and other spices.Many makes upma out of it and for a change i tried to make vadai.It is an easy to make recipe and it takes only half an hour time.
- 1 cup – Flattened rice/ aval / poha (thin)
- 3 slices - Bread (I used wheat bread)
- 1 no - Onion (medium, chopped finely)
- 1/2 tsp - Cumin seeds
- 1 1/2 tsp - Chopped ginger
- 1 no - green chili (chopped finely)
- 3 tbsp - Rice flour
- 1 tbsp - Coriander leaves
- Salt as needed
- Oil for deep frying
- Soak flattened rice/aval in 1/2 cup water for 10 mins or until soft. Dip bread in little water, squeeze out water .Add flattened rice & bread in a big mixing bowl.
- Now add chopped onion,ginger,green chili,cumin seeds,rice flour,coriander leaves and salt to this and mix well to form a thick ball.Make small balls out of it and flatten them to discs of 1/4 inch thickness.